Digital Photography Course for Beginners is a 2 day course with 50% theory and 50% practice. We will introduce you to the basic concepts of photography and then put in practice what you've learned.
This course is suitable for those who wish to understand and use digital cameras in a very effective manner. Both digital SLR (single lens reflex – cameras with interchangeable lenses) and compact cameras are covered.
It is designed for beginners, for those willing to take a useful course in the basics of digital photography and digital cameras. The course is well structured, covering all the key points of digital photography by blending both theoretical aspects, demonstrations and practical examples.
After following the course, Ion is more than happy to assist you with any further questions you might have regarding photography. Feel free to ask for a follow up via email or telephone and to submit your photographs for receiving feedback. Our aim is to make you feel comfortable about your your photography skills and to help you grasp as much knowledge as you can.
• Introduction to Photography
• Digital Cameras
• Lenses & Focal Length
• Exposure, Light Meter, Aperture, Shutter Speeds, ISO, Focus
• Depth of Field (DOF)
• Advanced Shooting Modes - Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Program, Bulb
• Using the Flash
• Composition (basic rules - what makes an effective photograph)
• Resolution and File Formats (basics)
• Camera Kit - Maintenance and Care
You will learn about the principles of photography, the digital camera kit (body, lenses & maintenance) and the functions of the camera - aperture, shutter speed, depth of field, exposure, and focus.
Also, you will learn about composition, flash, file formats and basic alterations and effects available with free software.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
• make use of the advanced shooting modes (especially manual mode) on your camera
• take correctly exposed photographs in different situations (people, cityscape, landscape, etc.)
• begin to use shutter speed, aperture and depth of field in a creative manner
• begin to obtaining different effects
• use the flash effectively
• begin to think about combining elements and composing a photograph
• make informed decisions about resolution, file sizes and formats
• begin to understand the basics of Digital Post-Processing
• make basic alterations to your images with free editing software (free software provided)
For all courses/workshops you will need a Digital Camera, a DSLR or a Pro Compact Camera with Fully Manual Exposure Mode. If you are not sure about your camera's capabilities please contact Ion to discuss about this.
If you haven't got a camera yet but still want to attend the course you can borrow one of our spare semi-professional DSLRs (including lenses, flashgun & tripod) for the duration of the course.
Moreover, if you are planning on buying a new camera, Ion can offer advice on what camera and lenses to buy according to your budget and the photography style you wish to pursue.
The course is designed for small groups of no more than six people. However, if you prefer one-to-one tuition, weekdays or evening courses, please contact us for a tailored quote.
Please find out more here:
If you have any query please do not hesitate to contact us:
The Union Jack Club
Sandell Street, SE1 8UJ, London, United Kingdom
Date and time:
Weekend courses run between 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Evening courses run between 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm There are plenty of dates available, please check our website for more information.
£250 full course 2 days