Whether you are looking to relax and get rid of stress, to stretch and strengthen your body, to explore physical movement or to deepen your practice – yoga gestalten works body and mind through yoga and can offer something for everybody.
Classes, workshops and 1-2-1’s are available for beginners or regular practitioners. Custom sessions can also be provided for events.
yoga gestalten takes a holistic approach to body, mind and emotions, and looks at
- the physical movement - understanding how our bodies work, and finding the spaces to move into
- the breath - moving energy through our body and opening up the energy channels
- the focus and quiet of the mind - letting go of attachments and finding trust in ourselves
Movement has always been a significant part of my life.
I started ballet at six and continued to dance in one form or another for 24 years before taking up pilates and yoga to help with my scoliosis. I soon discovered a wholeness to yoga that goes way beyond the stretching and which led me to teaching yoga and sharing my knowledge of working with the body.
I am currently completing the 500h Diploma Course with the British Wheel of Yoga, and decided to form yoga gestalten in September 2010 in order to provide a framework for my work with yoga.
'Gestalt' in German means figure or form, and 'gestalten' means to shape, create or mould something. So yoga gestalten stands for working with our bodies through yoga. And as everything we experience in life leaves an imprint on our bodies, through yoga we also reach our minds and hearts.
My own practice is mostly Hatha influenced by Sivananda yoga, dynamic Vinyasa, as well as Vanda Scaravelli's work. I want to offer my gratitude to all of my amazing teachers.
All classes start with a gentle warm-up and bringing awareness to the breath. Then a range or sequence of postures will be explored in a fun and inquisitive way. This can involve a tour through the anatomy of the body, some partner work, learning how to get in and out of postures and also how to hold them, as well as some dynamic flow of movement. At the end of every session, different relaxation techniques will be introduced.
Beginners are welcome.
f h space
9 Havelock Walk, Forest Hill, London SE23 3HG, London, United Kingdom
Date and time:
Every Monday evening, 19:30-20:45
£9 for regular students, £11 for drop-ins, £5 for taster class
If you have any questions about yoga or coming to the class, please contact us any time. In the meantime, you may find some of these points helpful:
- It's useful to arrive 5-10 minutes before the class, just so you can get settled in the space
- Please remove your shoes at the door
- Yoga is performed barefoot, and for your own safety you should remove all dangling jewellery
- In yoga, we move the whole body, so you should wear something loose and comfortable, so that you don't feel restricted in your movement
- Please switch off your mobile phone during class
- You may prefer practicing on your own yoga mat, but if you don't have one, please let us know, as mats can be provided
- Please always listen to your own body (and the teacher's guidance) throughout the practice to keep safe. Don’t do anything you are not comfortable with
- If possible, don't eat before the class. You may find it helpful to have a light snack in the afternoon, if your class is in the evening