In 1863, Benjamin Whitworth, a wealthy cotton merchant from Manchester opened the Whitworth Institute on Dock Street as a social centre for working people. It was later offered by Samuel Fielden, the new owner, as a gift to the town, provided that it was used as a free library. The Fielden Library was established in 1887 providing public library services for the next 101 years. In 1988, a new library was built on North Albert Street to replace the now cramped and inadequate facilities on Dock Street. The new library has the lending service on the ground floor and the reference and local studies library upstairs. There is also a large meeting room and the building also houses the Registrars Office.
- Car parking
- Disabled access and washroom facilities
- Hearing loop
- Onsite computers
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Within 10 minute walk of public transport
Contact Branch Manager on 01253 775800 for bookings and further information on venue for meetings.