Sometimes, the best way to get things done is to not do anything. Working on weekends, working late and skipping lunch don't make any real sense in the long run (or medium, or even short) run. Slack is good.
The most important bit of slacking at School of Everything is lunch. Every day, we get together around the table and have a good feast. Everyone chips in £3 and, the more people who come along, the bigger and better the lunch. So, we invite the neighbours, friends, School of Everything teachers and pretty-much everyone to join in. It's the cheapest way to get a good healthy meal at the office, it's fun, and it has become the centre of our community. Lunch is good.
So, in a celebration of A Good Week, here is a little guide to getting a good lunch.
- Find a space to have lunch (the boardroom is pretty good)
- Get a great big salad bowl (We found a huge one at Ikea - but they are not available online)
- Stock up on enough plates and cutlery to feed yourself and your guests
- Set up a cash box and a little accounting form to keep track of who has paid what. (Don't not do this, get the money stuff straight from the very beginning.)
- Find a place to wash the dishes
- Accept that, in practice, the same people will do the shopping every day. You can try to share the tasks around, but that is just more work. I am happy to get 30 minutes to think while I shop. (Slack is good)
Once you have the basics in place, you need to do the shopping and make the salad. By keeping track of everyone's account balance, you get to spend more on days when you need to stock up on condiments, salad dressing and cheese, and then just do a quick daily shop for the basics:
- Salad bits (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber)
- cold meat
You might be able to just do a weekly online shop and get things delivered, but we never managed to make that work - we ate a whole weeks food in the first two days. Anyway, those few minutes of shopping are not lost, they are valuable (see above).
Once you get the process down, invite everyone you know to join you. Lets say it again, lunch is good.
Once you have had lunch, you can think of other good things to do with your time and maybe visit agoodweek.com for some ideas.
Enjoy the longest day of the year.